Oil lighting was replaced by electricity in 1938, but the Chancel oil lamp remains in situ. A solid fuel heating stove stood against the North wall of the Nave, and was in use until 1950. Since 1955 the Quinquennial Inspections of Churches Measure has secured the fabric. The main actions have included the recasting and rehanging of the bell in 1966 by Taylor’s of Loughborough and the redecoration of the interior in 1982. Substantial repairs were carried out to the roofs in 1987: all were re-laid, felt lined and the timbers treated against infestation and replaced where necessary. Six air vents were cut into the walls to ventilate the roof voids. In 1988 the building and some churchyard tombs were accorded Grade II listed status by English Heritage.
The patterns of services at St. Nicholas during the 20th century reflect the many changes of population and resources. For example, at the beginning of the century the large agricultural population frequently necessitated two Harvest Festival services. Whereas, in April 1924 the Parish Magazine noted that ‘Services [were] liable to change.’ Today, weekly service are maintained offering a balance of worship on both The Book of Common Prayer andCommon Worship; the support from the village is now very modest.